COAST3D-EGMOND: THE BEHAVIOUR OF A STRAIGHT SANDY COAST ON THE TIME SCALE OF STORMS AND SEASONS; process knowledge and guidelines for coastal management (2002); Hardbound book; 580 pages
This book (hardbound, A4 size, ISBN:90-800356-5-3) contains the scientific results of the integrated European Research Project COAST3D-Egmond (sponsored by the European Commission) on field research along a sandy coast, numerical coastal models and coastal management issues.
The topics considered are:
Process research through field experiments
- analysis of field datasets at the Dutch Egmond coast;
- development of databases;
Model verification: mathematical modelling
- validation of mathematical modelling systems;
- improvement of existing mathematical model systems;
Development of coastal zone management tools
- inventory of existing tools and methods;
- application of tools to field sites;
- determination of optimum mix of field data sets and model applications;
- guidelines for communication between specialists and managers
PART I: OVERALL PROJECT RESULTS (100 pages)
Coastal problems and coastal zone management, The COAST3D Project.
2. MANAGEMENT PROBLEMS AND RESEARCH QUESTIONS
Problem setting, Hypotheses, Study and research, Available tools, Information need and Strategy.
3. DESCRIPTION OF EGMOND COAST
Situation of Egmond coast, History of Egmond coast, Geomorphological and environmental conditions.
4. RESEARCH RESULTS
Field processes along a sandy coast, modelling of hydrodynamics and morphodynamics.
5. PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE AND GUIDELINES FOR COASTAL MANAGEMENT
Coastal state indicators, Improved knowledge on physical system, on mathematical models and on field instrumentation (incl. remote sensing techniques), Alternative ideas for coastal defence.
6. REFERENCES AND PUBLICATIONS
PART II: PAPERS BY PARTICIPANTS (450 pages)
A. HYDRODYNAMICS (5 papers)
B. SEDIMENT DYNAMICS (3 papers)
C. MORPHODYNAMICS based on direct bathymetry soundings (5 papers)
D. MORPHODYNAMICS based on remote sensing techniques (5 papers)
E. MATHEMATICAL MODELLING (3 papers)
F. COASTAL ZONE MANAGEMENT (1 paper)